Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What of it?

I am not who you say I am.
It struck me the other day that those instances are becoming more frequently when I hear a description of myself or one of my actions/tendencies that I don't think are true. My first reaction is denial, then hurt or anger, then annoyance that they see me so off from the truth. When this starts to happen more and more frequently it becomes obvious that someone has the wrong view... and I'm beginning to think it is me that is wrong. It's easy to pass of if someone you don't know very well says something about you that your like, "what are they talking about, I don't do/think that." not when your close friends start doing it. It is usually safe to assume that the people around you all the time can read you better than yourself. I may think that I am acting one way in response to what I am thinking but it does really matter what i think I'm portraying, its what the audience perceives. not that I'm saying i need to start acting a certain way to make them believe i am different from what i am, but be more aware and intentional about how i act so that people can see who i really am and how i want to be perceived. If i think i am a nice person, it doesn't matter if i don't act upon that nice attitude. does that make sense?
I want to be seen as who I really am, and I want to be remembered consistently with how I see myself.
So instead of trying to defend my idea of how I act, I am going to try to be more intentional about how I act and how I respond so that my perception and the worlds perception of me and my actions line up in a way that is glorifying to God.
How do your friends see you? is it how you want to be seen?

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I just don't want to be a hypocrite. I couldn't describe myself if I tried and I have no idea how other people would describe me. I hope consistent and reliable would be somewhere in there.

    ReplyDelete