Saturday, September 4, 2010

New home

I think that there is something honorable about a good cleaning job. I know I am turning my back on my childhood hatred of cleaning, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of being able to really clean something and see the desired outcome; a new looking wall. A few days ago a fellow worker and I moved into an older apartment; it looked like something out of a scary movie. there was a layer of dust and dirt over everything, cobwebs, fingerprints, the walls were supposed to be blue with pink borders but it was all a weird grey color; everything was just grimy and small. It was a vast difference from the flat I had been living in.
When I moved here, I moved in with two girls that had been here for over a year and had themselves inherited a lot of basic household needs. This place was a definite step down from their flat, especially without all the amenities they had.  For the past couple of days my new roommate and I have been shopping and cleaning, we had to buy cups and plates, pots, food, silverware, a broom… everything. While I was discouraged when we first walked in, late at night, with the last of our stuff; I’m feeling more optimistic about the whole move. I really did enjoy myself while I was literally scrubbing the walls today. There is nothing like being able to see a difference and a result after you hard work. I haven’t sweat that much since I got here but it felt good to be doing something so real. Learning the language is hard, but it is mostly mental and the results are less obvious. But with cleaning you can put the sweat in and see the results. I enjoy manual labor in that way; don’t tell my mom that.
So at the end of the day I am proud to say our living room looks 10 times better!
Our new kitchen.... yes the size of a bathroom.
squatty potty

No comments:

Post a Comment