Friday, September 24, 2010

Care for a ride?

The autorickshaws are a type of three wheel taxi; they are more expensive than the bus but more direct and it’s just your party in the auto… sometimes just that is worth the money for the auto. Anyways I have discovered that unlike my idea of a taxi and the unspoken rules of a taxi, the auto drivers are in charge and the customer is not the number one priority. The drivers will stop for gas, pull over to take a phone call, or I’ve even had a few stop at the market on the way to get some groceries! All this while I am in the auto waiting to go… just sitting there wondering where my auto driver went. The other night, my roommate and I were on our way home in an auto when he pulled over near the market. He turned to us and said “one minute” and walked away into the crowd. So for like 3 or so minutes we were just sitting in the auto on the side of a busy road, just waiting. We had no idea where he went, but he eventually came back with some bread and without saying a word, continued on our way to our flat. It’s such a different concept to me; the fact that they can just walk off with customers in their car and not seem to worry about it. the fare is based on distance and whatever price we have agreed upon before I accept the ride so no matter if he stops or makes good time, he will get the same price.

No comments:

Post a Comment